Fender Banjo Serial Numbers?
proehling
2007-06-06 21:44:14 UTC
Just picked up an old Fender Artist, Bluegrass model. This is one of the
high-quality American made (Fullerton CA) banjos featuring a figured
American black walnut neck and resonator, rosewood fingerboard and headstock
overlay, nickel -might be chrome- plating, and somewhat clunky inlay
patters. Serial # B-1523. (It also has one of the old "Reno" fiberglass
heads with a "soundhole" in it!)

Anybody know if and where there might be a list of Fender banjo serial
numbers that can be used to date this critter? Fender says they don't have
the information, and although from various clues I'm pretty sure this is a
'70s instrument, I'd like to able to date it a little more accurately!

Thanx,

Pete
RobertM
2007-06-06 22:08:56 UTC
Post by proehling
Just picked up an old Fender Artist, Bluegrass model. This is one of the
high-quality American made (Fullerton CA) banjos featuring a figured
American black walnut neck and resonator, rosewood fingerboard and headstock
overlay, nickel -might be chrome- plating, and somewhat clunky inlay
patters. Serial # B-1523. (It also has one of the old "Reno" fiberglass
heads with a "soundhole" in it!)
Anybody know if and where there might be a list of Fender banjo serial
numbers that can be used to date this critter? Fender says they don't have
the information, and although from various clues I'm pretty sure this is a
'70s instrument, I'd like to able to date it a little more accurately!
Thanx,
Pete
Pete, did you look at their website? It doesn't have serial
numbers but they have approx dates and values.
http://www.fender.com/support/dating/old_banjos_dating.php

Bob
proehling
2007-06-06 23:22:49 UTC
Pete, did you look at their website? It doesn't have serial numbers but
they have approx dates and values.
http://www.fender.com/support/dating/old_banjos_dating.php
Thanx, Bob, I did.

All it tells me is that Fender stopped production in 1979, and it listed for
$1325.00 new.

BTW, in case you should ever run across one: these banjos were easily
competitive in sound and playability with the Gibsons being made at that
time, are fully professional in quality, and can sometimes be found
relatively cheaply because people just don't commonly associate the name
"Fender" with high quality banjos.

(The figured black walnut neck and resonator are something you almost don't
see any more. Nearly all the available walnut has been either used up or
bought up by gunstock makers.)

The only hiccup on the one I just got is that they went a bit too heavy with
the spraygun on the face of the headstock, leaving it slightly wavy instead
of dead flat.

Sounds great and plays perfectly, though.

Pete
Father Haskell
2007-06-13 19:15:02 UTC
Post by proehling
Pete, did you look at their website? It doesn't have serial numbers but
they have approx dates and values.
http://www.fender.com/support/dating/old_banjos_dating.php
Thanx, Bob, I did.
All it tells me is that Fender stopped production in 1979, and it listed for
$1325.00 new.
BTW, in case you should ever run across one: these banjos were easily
competitive in sound and playability with the Gibsons being made at that
time, are fully professional in quality, and can sometimes be found
relatively cheaply because people just don't commonly associate the name
"Fender" with high quality banjos.
Try $450 for a 70s vintage mahogany Leo in mint condition. Fantastic
instrument, sounds like a Steinway when I lay picks into it.
Post by proehling
(The figured black walnut neck and resonator are something you almost don't
see any more. Nearly all the available walnut has been either used up or
bought up by gunstock makers.)
The only hiccup on the one I just got is that they went a bit too heavy with
the spraygun on the face of the headstock, leaving it slightly wavy instead
of dead flat.
One little blister over the pearl where the finish didn't stick. Not
worth
fretting over.
Post by proehling
Sounds great and plays perfectly, though.
Pete
Congrats over the walnut Fender. Friend had one back in '80.
Extremely
nice instrument, very resonant, felt almost alive in my hands.

cptbanjo
2007-06-08 14:50:50 UTC
Post by proehling
Just picked up an old Fender Artist, Bluegrass model. This is one of the
high-quality American made (Fullerton CA) banjos featuring a figured
American black walnut neck and resonator, rosewood fingerboard and headstock
overlay, nickel -might be chrome- plating, and somewhat clunky inlay
patters. Serial # B-1523. (It also has one of the old "Reno" fiberglass
heads with a "soundhole" in it!)
Anybody know if and where there might be a list of Fender banjo serial
numbers that can be used to date this critter? Fender says they don't have
the information, and although from various clues I'm pretty sure this is a
'70s instrument, I'd like to able to date it a little more accurately!
Thanx,
Pete
Unfortunately, the serial numbers of the 60's and 70's-era Fender
banjos weren't issued chronologically, so you really can't estimate
the date from the serial number. I have an Artist I bought new in
1972, and although its serial number is in the 4200's (with no letter
prefix), I've heard of older ones with higher serial numbers.
proehling
2007-06-08 17:54:56 UTC
Post by cptbanjo
Unfortunately, the serial numbers of the 60's and 70's-era Fender
banjos weren't issued chronologically, so you really can't estimate
the date from the serial number. I have an Artist I bought new in
1972, and although its serial number is in the 4200's (with no letter
prefix), I've heard of older ones with higher serial numbers.
Thanx for the input.

I used to see Leo Fender every year at the NAMM Show, and we spoke about the
Fender banjos several times, but it never occurred to me that I should ask
him if there was any rhyme or reason to the serial numbers.

'Doh!

Pete
John Doe
2007-06-09 20:06:59 UTC
Next time (he still alive?)...ask him about the Leos, and where to
look for serial numbers on it.I havent a clue without dis-assembly.

S.
proehling
2007-06-09 21:55:52 UTC
Post by John Doe
Next time (he still alive?)...ask him about the Leos, and where to
look for serial numbers on it.
Alas, Leo passed away back around '90 or '91. I was told it was heart
failure.
Father Haskell
2007-06-13 19:05:46 UTC
Post by John Doe
Next time (he still alive?)...ask him about the Leos, and where to
look for serial numbers on it.I havent a clue without dis-assembly.
S.
Stamped on the back of the peghead.